This past weekend, as I contemplated the news of the last few weeks I was discouraged with all the horrible things that are taking place in our country and around the world. Police killed in Dallas. Three more police were targeted and killed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, a city that I visited many times while living in Natchez, Mississippi. A horrific attack in France and we sit wondering what will be the next breaking headline of horror!
But as I reflected on all that’s happening around us, I was gently prodded by the Holy Spirit, to lift my eyes from all the craziness in the news and the evil we hear about and look to our Savior! If you are like me, we can get distracted by what the world wants us to focus on and miss the fact that Jesus Christ is still on the Throne of Heaven. In Isaiah 6, Isaiah was entering the Temple burdened with the death of King Uzziah and worrying (I’m convinced) about who would be the next King over Israel when God broke in to his little world. God revealed Himself to Isaiah and essentially said to him, “Isaiah, it doesn’t really matter who is King in Jerusalem, but am I still on the Throne? Am I still in control?” And you know what, I think the Lord wants to confront us with that same message. Is Jesus Christ, is God still on the eternal Throne? Of course He is and if we believe that it is time for us to live in the reality of that knowledge! It is wrong for me to worry about tomorrow when I know that God is still in control.
So, how should I live in the light of the nightly news that is going to spend most of its time on dark and gloomy news of the day? We need to seize the day and live as children of the King who know how it will end! He is in control and as His child I can trust Him in all things.
- Live my life focused on my Lord and not on the problems of life and the world!
- Be positive because He is in control.
- Love people as God has loved me, unconditionally!
- Invest my life in the lives of others.
- Commit myself to do all that I can to make this world a better place.
- Pray and trust my Lord to bring His Kingdom to this earth.
- Prioritize my to-do list and make sure the #1 thing is always #1!
- Invest in eternity, because I know that it is the only true reality.
- Be a disciple (student, understudy, follower) of Christ who invests in the lives of others.
I will let my light shine before all people so that they may see my good deeds and praise my Father in heaven! (Matthew 5:16) Will you join me in that commitment today?
Let’s let our light shine till Jesus comes!